- Stores almost any type of information, including plain
text, rich text, HTML, numbers, dates, times, booleans,
- The tree structure helps keep things organized.
- Each node can have several fields that form a
- Several node types, with different sets of fields, can
be included in one file.
- The node format, including fields, output lines,
formatting and tree-view icon, can be defined for each
- The left-hand view shows an indented list of
- The right-hand view can show one of three views - for
showing output, editing node data and editing node
- The right-hand view is normally split to show data
from the parent node and its children.
- If multiple nodes are selected, the right-hand view
shows all of their data.
- The output view can be set to show indented output
from all descendant nodes.
- Find commands can search node data for text or for
more specific rules.
- Filtering commands show only matching nodes in a flat
- Previous and next selection commands toggle selections
to quickly move between parts of the tree.
- The dialog for data type configuration has several
tabs to easily set all type, field and output
- Formatting information can be copied from another
- Undo and redo commands are available for all modifying
- TreeLine files are XML by default, with options for
automatically compressing or encrypting the files.
- Document templates for new files are preformatted to
cover basic needs.
- The formatted output can be printed with parent/child
lines, headers and footers.
File Import and Export
- The data can be exported to single or multiple HTML
files with optional navigation panes.
- Plain text, tab-indented text and tab-delimited table
files can be imported and exported.
- Mozilla and XBEL format bookmark files can be imported
- Generic XML files can be imported and exported,
allowing TreeLine to function as a crude XML
- ODF text documents can be imported and exported as
- Internal link fields toggle the selection to a linked
node when clicked.
- External link fields can be used to open URLs in web
- Both internal and external links can be embedded into
- Nodes can be sorted by title or by predefined node
- Math fields can be defined that automatically
calculate their contents based on numerical values in
- Numbering fields can be defined and automatically
- A node's icon and output format can be changed
conditionally based on its data.
- Text data can be spell checked (requires an external
program - see the System
- Data can be automatically arranged using either parent
references or categories from data fields.
- There are many options for customizing both general
and file-based attributes.
- There are editors for keyboard shortcuts and toolbar
- Fonts used for editing and output can be
- The user interface is available in English, German and
- Plugin extension modules can be loaded to further